Today’s camp game is a classic for when you need to wear out the children. Camp is notorious for giving kids more energy than it is humanly possible for adults to contain, and this game, if played correctly, is an intense aerobic workout.
Designate one side of the playing area (it is usually best to mark this somehow, with cones or between two trees) as “Ship” and the other side “Shore”. The further apart they are, the more the children will have to run. This is at your discretion.
Before beginning the game, teach several commands:
- When the leader says ship, everyone must run to the side of the area designated “ship”.
- When the leader says shore, everyone must run to the side designated “shore”.
- When the leader says “Captain’s Coming!” everyone must stand at attention and salute.
- When the leader says “Cook’s Coming!” everyone rubs their stomach and says “Mmmm”.
- When the leader says “Cook’s Gone!” everyone holds their stomach and pretends to get sick.
- When the leader says “Hit the deck!” everyone must lay on their stomach on the ground.
- When the leader says “Swab the deck!” everyone must pretend to mop the floor.
You can add as many other creative commands as you like. For maximum exhaustion, I recommend a lot of Ship, Shore, Ship, Shore, Hit the Deck, Captain’s Coming, Ship, Shore, etc.
What other camp games do you love to play?